Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Thankful for my body

Running is my Everest. That, and depression. Both Everests. The two are so analogous to me in many ways, but I shall enumerate those reasons later. Today I am thankful for the amazing, wonderful things my imperfect body can do. Far more than I give it credit for. I haven't run for about a year (wah wah), and even when I did last year, it was more "running" than running. Know what I mean? In fact it is only for my psyche and morale that I refer to it as running instead of jogging, or more accurately, 'wogging'. 

Trisha and I have been exercising together in the mornings as often as our schedules allow. Last week she promised me that I could run a mile, even though I am seriously out of shape and haven't run in a year and even then 1 mile was about the longest I could run without stopping. Incredulously, but hopefully I started out with her-and guess what? I could run mile without stopping. Rather, I could "run" a mile without stopping. But I did it. A few days later we went again and she tried to trick me into running 3 miles. Ha! I did, however run a combined total of 2.5 miles and walk a half, though not consecutively. Today I ran 2.8 miles straight! The only times I paused were to try and assuage a crying Fiona, and then it was only for a moment and I started right back up. No walking. I have never run that far without stopping, which I find simultaneously pathetic and amazing. I credit the success to going with Trisha who pushes me in a supportive and confident manner. Can't wait to see what I can do next time!
So to recap my body's quick improvement, that was:
Run1- run a mile.
Run 2- run a combined 2.5 miles interspersed with walking breaks
Run 3- run 2.8 miles straight!
My body may not look exactly the way I want it to right now, but it sure is amazing.

4 comments:

michelle said...

Good for you! I'm impressed.

Jill said...

Wow, that is seriously amazing!

Miranda said...

I hear you. I have the exact same Everest(s). I am very proud of you.

Denise said...

Is it wrong of me not to want to run? I mean,like NEVER. Needless to say, I'm seriously impressed by your accomplishments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...