Sunday, January 22, 2006

A freezer full of goodness


I want to share the best thing I have undertaken in quite some time. I credit the idea to my mom, who proposed it to me. The concept is simple, yet feels revolutionary! I have started to cook 2 weeks worth of meals in advance and freezing them. I started it about a month ago, and it is going beautifully. I set aside one day, and I cook like a mad woman the whole day. (Bella permitting). Of course, I plan the menus and shop the day before. Then I divvy the meals up into portions for each night (unless it is a casserole or other complete meal-) and stock the freezer full. You see, I can handle one day full of cooking, but I hate doing it everyday. I hate the mess it creates in my kitchen, and the sheer time commitment. The effect is wonderful. I can't remember the last time that we had a good, home-cooked meal every night. (Did I mention Timm is ecstatic with this situation? He praises my mom often for the inspiration!) Plus, it helps with the diet. I am less prone to just eat whatever is on-hand, because I have a complete meal all pointed out and ready in advance! I love this! This past week I made- are you ready for this? Lasagna, Chili Rellenos Casserole, chicken Cacciatore, Beefy Black Bean chili, Meatloaf, Raspberry-Balsamic chicken, Chicken with Feta sauce, Mexican-style Baked Potatoes, and Sloppy Joes! All in one day! They are all weight Watchers and cooking Light recipes, and this will feed us for at least 3 weeks. I am so loving this. Not to mention Timm.

5 comments:

Jill said...

This is inspirational. I have heard this idea before, but seeing your freezer full o' food, and considering that you're making low cal recipes and dividing things into portions is making my head is spin. I fear I would dread that day of cooking, but I would absolutely love to have a freezer full of food and a good dinner every night. You're out of control Jessie.

Jill said...

P.S. Please share your recipes.

jt said...

you know, it's really not so bad. Especially where your kids are older, I don't think it would take you so long. In my opinion, it is well worth it. And the feeling of the freezer stocked full is joyful. Also, I think it's saving me money because I don't let things go bad in the fridge... I always buy a lot of produce with good intentions of cooking, but inevitably some of it goes bad and then I don't make the recipe and it's wasted money. This way, since I cook it all in one day there is no time for it to go bad! Also, I only go shopping like twice a month, and I think any time you can limit the ammount of trips to the store, you have to be saving money! Think about it... I love it. I will have to carve out some time to write the recipes.

Anonymous said...

Great idea Jessie! I would love it if you posted the recipes as well. I LOVE to cook and really enjoy making meals everydaya, but the idea of having stuff in the freezer for those days when time is short sounds great to me. I have a couple that I make and freeze that I will have to e-mail you after I figure out how many points they are for ya. I know they are waaaaay good for you though.

Anonymous said...

OKAY - I cannot believe Mom posted a comment to your blog. That means that Mom was actually online AND typing a message. This blows my mind. I might actually have to start a blog just because Mom and Dad are looking and commenting!!! Wow...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...