Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Did I agree to this?


I think I may have over-committed myself. I don't know what I was thinking-well, that's not true. What I was thinking was, "I'm really desperate."
I told Hannah I would stuff 5,000 envelopes by Thursday night for her aunt's business. Hannah was doing me a favor because earlier today I had actually volunteered ny services should there ever be work available for me to do. Apparently mindless monotonous work appeals to me. Lo and behold, just a couple of hours later there was work for me to do. On a very tight deadline. On the phone I thought, "hmm... 5,000 sounds like a lot of envelopes. But I bet I can do it. I really need the money." Then Hannah brought over the 10 boxes of envelopes and I got a little concerned. I will have to stuff every night and every one of Bella's naps now through Thursday night to get them done. Good thing the house got cleaned yesterday and today.
The money is going to a good cause. Timm's Instructor Insurance is due soon (he's a scuba instructor) and it's $700! Crikey! Not to mention he's taking 8 credits in Summer semester that we have to come up with the tuition for, my car has to be registered and possibly needs a new windshield, and we have to come up with nearly $800 for August's rent before our next student loan disbursement comes in. Ahh... to be young and destitute.
Thanks Hannah- I mean it. I'm not sarcastic.
Cross your fingers that I don't hemorrhage to death from paper cuts.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel both bad and glad..I am in the same boat anyway. I hope it goes faster for you as it has for me since starting. I hate having money things all come up at once- our big month for misc money things is October :/ Let me know how it goes and don't stress over it. Just keep thinking of the money...I guess. That is what I am doing :) Call me during her nap tomorrow if you want to chat.

Jill said...

I've stuffed envelopes for my dad before (not as many as this, but lots) and have found if I get a good system going and stick in a good movie that I've seen before (so that I don't have to really watch closely) then the times goes quickly and I can get lots done. Good luck with all that!

And I love it that you used the word crikey!

everything pink! said...

what did hannah badger you into something???

Amie said...

I love busy work. I enjoy weeing things get done and that I am making progress. I stuffed envelopes (and hand addressed them) for a couple of years when Jessica was a baby. I also did data entry for awhile. I liked them both, it seems like we have always needed whatever money I could "find" to supplement. Good luck!

TX Girl said...

I love busy work. I'm all about busy work. Good luck. And just think- $$$$ while you are doing it. You will be so happy to have that check in hand when you need it.

michelle said...

I kind of enjoy doing things like that, too. I guess I like projects that I can do while watching TV! Good luck getting it all done. At least you don't have to hand-write the addresses, right? Yikes. I think it's great to have a way to make extra money at home.

michelle said...

btw thank you for changing your comments from a pop-up window -- I like this much better!

becca said...

Growing up we had a neighbor that was always looking for "envelope stuffers". He didn't pay very well, but since I was young I don't think I cared. I actually enjoyed stuffing. It goes quickly, you can watch TV, and I LOVE seeing completed work. As the pile (and boxes) of finished envelopes got bigger it was only motivation to keep going! Good luck this week!!

Diana said...

Good luck! Just think now you can watch TV and not feel guilty!

Robin said...

Good luck with the rest of your envelope endeavor. I'm glad I was able to come over for a while tonight - our chat was so refreshing. (: I was also able to get some quality Dobby time while you put Bella to bed. Just an overall great evening. (:

everything pink! said...

jessie. we will be turning our computer off in a few days for about a week because of the move.

we should have everything in our house unpacked by the first of July, ie embroidery machine. so i hope it is ok if i get those towels to you by mid july. my machine is still in the shop and will be there until the day before we move.
so think about what color towels you want and the color of the monogram.
you can go to www.embroideryarts.com and look at their fonts to see waht you like. i have about half of what they offer on there. I will do two large bath towels, two hand towels and a washcloth. ok. thanks for being patient.

Amy said...

Oh, my. I'm late posting (it's already Thursday?!) but I can't wait to hear how it went!

Anonymous said...

I've done my share of envelope stuffing, and I don't really mind it. Sometimes mindless work is just what I need. It does make me wonder about all those mass-mailed envelopes I receive in the mail--who stuffed them, and what movie were they watching?

Bond Girl 007 said...

I don't mind stuffing envelopes, but do be careful with paper cuts...I do enjoy monotonous work once in a while. The extra money will be well deserved!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...