Monday, July 03, 2006

Prelude to a Recap

Well, we made it home safe and sound after 17 hours of travel each way. The travel days were somewhat hellish, but definitely worth it for the fun we had. We got home around 10:30 last night, and slept the sweet sleep of the exhausted, that is unmatched by anyone who has not traveled such a distance with a baby in tow. I was thinking it's a good thing I wasn't a pioneer because I would have been far too whiny.
As I was preparing to make a post highlighting the trip, I was having a hard time deciding which pictures to post, and where to begin. So more for my good than yours, I have decided to go slowly and savor it. I will post a few pictures everyday, and in the torturous way I have become accustomed, remember what it was I was doing a week ago that day in Charleston.
This is a picture of the house we stay in each year. I have many more pictures of the interior, but from previous years and they are not digital. Alas, I do not have a scanner. It is a beautiful house as you can see, and finely appointed since it was my mom the designer who outfitted it. It has 6 bedrooms and 5 1/2 baths over 3 floors. It is only one house from the beach which is the ideal location for insurance against hurricanes. You are close enough to walk to the beach in just a minute, but you have a 'buffer house' to shield you from those pesky hurricane winds and rain.


The beaches are beautiful because we stayed in a private resort called Wild Dunes on the Isle of Palms. The beaches are pristine because they are private and securely maintained. This means clean and sparsely populated for your beach-going pleasure. This is the 3rd year that we have gone to the same beautiful house in the same luxurious location, and also our last. For anyone interested, the house is selling for merely $4 million. Have at it!
As you can see, Bella clearly enjoys the beach as much as the rest of us.

She loved to just crawl right into the surf, mouth agape for whatever salty surprise would greet her. We had to keep a close eye on her because she wouldn't stop crawling straight out to sea. We both loved it when there were tide pools that she could play in. Tide pools are created when the tide goes out, but due to differences in the elevation of the sand, a pool of water is left behind. They are perfect because they're generally not deeper than waist-high, and fairly small. The babies could just crawl/walk in and out on their own accord. We dubbed them the 'baby pools' of the ocean. More to come tomorrow. For now, in keeping with the torturous exercise I practice:

(this should be said in my whiniest voice, which if you know me, is pretty whiny.)

Last Monday in Charleston:

  • Might have been the best day because it was our first full day there. We knew we had the whole week to enjoy, and could savor the knowledge and anticipation of each day.
  • We went grocery shopping for a few meals.
  • We played cards and games.
  • We ate too much great food.
  • We went to the beach.
  • We lounged.
  • We enjoyed the company of those we love most.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm excited to be the first to comment... Welcome back! I can't wait to see more pictures and hear more about your trip. Bella looks like she is having a ball in the water and it sounds like you had a good time too. 17 hours each way... did you drive?

Jill said...

Welcome back! It's been awful having you and Michelle both gone all week.

I'm glad you had such a wonderful time and that you made it back safely. I hate traveling so much, that it's hard to imagine the vacation part being worth it. But I know the Taylor's do vacations up huge so it's worth the torturous travel.

The house looks amazing, and Bella looks mighty cute in her suit.

Amy said...

Oh, I'm sad that this is your last year! What a beautiful house and such a fun place to go. I wanted to try to get Jeremy to go to the Carolinas for our vacation this year, but I think we're going to Florida instead. (He served his mission there and wants to show me around) Anyway, at least you had a few years to build some great memories. And now, on the bright side, you guys can find a new beautiful location to take family vacations.

Robin said...

Glad you made it home safe and sound! I hope the kitties were doing well - I'm sure Hannah did a great job "taking over" for Saturday. (: It looks like you had a great time, and I look forward to your updates!

michelle said...

I don't know if I can handle the torturous "remember whens"...

Anonymous said...

So glad you are back! The blogging void is being filled now.

I knew you would have a great time and those pictures are awesome. I hope you recover from the traveling soon. Can't wait to hear more!

Anonymous said...

aahh charleston good times good times

Anonymous said...

I definitely agree that Monday was the best day because the end seemed so far away, and the disappointment of having to leave eventually hadn't set in yet. Plus, the beef tenderloin that night was awesome!

Anonymous said...

Ah--beef tenderloin! I too am torturing myself with the "Last week at this time" game. I'm certainly glad to have so many photos to remember the trip, though I'm counting on everyone to share disks, as I hardly have any of Lee's family, or of my mom and dad. Most of mine are of the babies! I miss them SSOOooooo much!!

Anonymous said...

AH! I've been having blog withdrawels all last week! I really wish I could have gone and I definitely felt like I was going through blog detox or something. It sounds like you guys had a great time and I'm excited to come out in a couple of months--it's so soon!

Anonymous said...

ha we got home at like 9:40 central time in a mere 2 hours!

roastbeefstew said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
roastbeefstew said...

hey jesse this is ross. i have a blog here now. it's roastbeefstew.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Yes, we too are having vacation blahs, having to return to work tomorrow. We had a restful day doing laundry, unpacking and very light cooking.
We love your photos! Keep it up! We are missing everyone and reliving the week each hour! A special thanks to Timm for all the help loading the cars again for the trip home. Love to all and missing everyone.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, I can't wait to hear about your trip and see more pictures. That house is gorgeous, what a great place to vacation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...