Wednesday, August 27, 2008

4 Weeks

Today marks exactly 4 weeks to when we plan to deliver Fiona by C-Section, on September 24th. I will be 36 weeks pregnant and we will go to the hospital to do an amniocentesis to check if she is developed enough to be delivered that day. The test takes a couple of hours, and if all looks okay we will proceed to surgery shortly after! This is essentially what we did when we had Bella, only I was 37 weeks pregnant with her.

There is the possibility that Fiona won't be ready, and we'll have to wait and retest anywhere from 2-7 days later. That would be unfortunate and inconvenient due to everyone's schedules and family that is flying in, Timm taking off work etc. but I feel pretty confident that the 24th will be the day. Even though Bella was 'ready' to be born, she still had 'wet lungs' due in part to her C-Section birth and she had to stay in the nursery until the last day we were in the hospital. She had to receive extra oxygen through a tube and have monitors hooked up to watch her heartbeat. She was fine, but it meant that I had to go to the nursery to see her and feed her, and of course the monitor made me spastic because it would alarm for all sorts of reasons, most of them due to positioning.

This week we start doing weekly non-stress tests to watch her and monitor how things are going. I had to do this with Bella as well, and it was time-consuming and boring, but that was all. Now that I have Bella, I have to tote her along with me, and that is going to prove difficult, I'm sure. Our last regular appointment was at 8:15 so we could get in and out, or so I thought, but we were still there for an hour and a half! Bella's a really good trooper, but we still had a couple of tantrums and it's hard to entertain her for that long, especially in the cramped quarters of the exam room. Friday we go in at 8:30 for the NST (non-stress test) and then I have a regular appt. at 10, so that alone guarantees we will be there for a minimum of 2 hours, although I'm betting more on 3 or so. Not looking forward to that, and once a week too. Another doctor suggested that we do the NSTs twice a week, but luckily I haven't heard that again! Plus, my doctor's office is a good 25 minutes away so I am gas-conscious.
I know these last 4 weeks are going to fly- I can't even tell you where the last 4 went! It's simultaneously exciting and scary. Our lives will never be the same, our family may be completed, various ills and discomforts will be relieved and substituted with new and different ones, I will trade one kind of fatigue for another, my concerns will be slightly alleviated but also transferred to a new set of worries, and I will finally have 2 girls by my side to validate to the world the 2 daughters I have kept in my heart for the last 3 years. I will be a mother of 3, but at last parenting 2 of them.

8 comments:

Diana said...

I am so excited for you Jessie. I really hope she is ready. I bet she is with you thinking you're farther along than they say.
Can't stop thinking about you and your cute family :)

Denise said...

I can totally relate to feelings of angst about change in family dynamic, though for completely different reasons than yours, thankfully :). You're so right, the time will pass quickly, which is both good and not-so-good! Good luck with everything--I'll keep you in my prayers (you may need lots of prayers to get through those long doctor visits with a toddler in tow!).

michelle said...

I can't believe it is only 4 weeks away!! I sure hope she's ready to come on schedule, because I can't wait to meet her.

Anonymous said...

The doctor visits sound like they will be a true test in patience for the last stretch of this road. 4 weeks...that just doesn't seem possible!

rmt said...

Wow, I can't believe that you are only 4 weeks away! Isn't it amazing how fast other people's pregnancies go by?
Good luck with all of your doctor appointments. That sounds stressful to me! Wish I could be there to help!

Jill said...

Isn't there anyone who can watch Bella so you can go to those appointments in peace? Could you work out a trade with a friend or is it just easier to deal with Bella at the doctor's? I had to go multiple times a week for NSTs when I was pregnant with Landon and I found it comforting to hear him moving around in there...of course I didn't have any other kids to deal with at the time.

Tasha said...

Wow! 4 weeks! I am spacing, were your girls born in the same season? How are you on baby clothes? What do you need? I am happy to go through our things, I have a ton. I also have more size 1 diapers if you'd like. What else can you think of?

You are going to be GREAT!

Bond Girl 007 said...

you can do it. hang on in there!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...