Today I had the privilege of attending my first court date. Nothing illustrious, just overdue registration on my van so I had to attend traffic court to waive the otherwise $150 ticket. I planned on bringing the girls, as I tend to bring them everywhere. I am loathe to ask for babysitting favors because I personally hate babysitting in most cases, thus I try to save others from a similar fate. Molly however insisted on watching them and I was very grateful. I took my book and looked forward to a few minutes of 'alone' time along with everyone else at the courthouse, but alas, the sheriff deputy promptly told me that reading was not allowed in the courtroom. Huh.
With my plans out the window I searched for other activities to keep me occupied. I compiled the following list based on my observations.
At 9:13 am in Courtroom 1130 of the Charlotte, NC Courthouse on March 5, 2010- I am Grateful That:
1. My name is not 'LaQuinta'.
2. I am not wearing a scrunchie.
3. I do not have a history of repeated failure to appear.
4. I have not frequented the courthouse often enough to be familiar with its layout.
5. I do not need a lawyer.
6. I am not appearing to answer to charges of assault.
7. I did not recognize any friends in the courtroom, giving a shout out.
And finally, on an unrelated note:
8. I am grateful that I do not have to list my relationship status on FaceBook as 'it's complicated.'