Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Easy Road

A while back I started to come to terms with the fact that I am lazy, and I try to find ways to work with that character flaw. That's when I came up with this mantra. Recently I've had a new epiphany, which I specifically related to food and dieting, but really applies to any choices we make. Not surprisingly, it centers on doing the least amount of work possible. No, rather it centers on being as efficient as possible. Getting the most return for the least amount of work. Yes, 'efficient'-that sounds much better than lazy. The premise? It's easier to make the right choice in the first place. Take food for example: it's easier to eat the apple and avoid the cake. If I eat the apple the hardest part is to resist temptation, which can be really hard. But in return I gain more self-control, I exercise my muscle of resistance, I feel good about myself, and I lose weight, creating a virtuous cycle. If I eat the cake, the easy part is eating it. Yum. But then comes the inevitable consequences of eating more cake (still yum), weakening my resistance for next time, feeling bad, feeling guilty, gaining weight, and creating a viscous cycle. Bleh. Too many consequences. It's easier to choose the right (food) to begin with.
Imagine my surprise when Linda and I saw this poster at our last Weight Watchers meeting:
Ha! I didn't know President Benson was a Weight Watchers member! Who knew he was a dieting sage as well as a prophet? Well, whatever he was, he nailed my sentiments. Swap out 'better' for 'easier' and it's my philosophy exactly. So whether it be related to food or sin, I contend it is easier to do the right thing to begin with and skip all those nasty consequences- be it fat jeans or eternal damnation. A moment (or two) of self discipline, saving you from a lot of unhappiness. Sounds a lot like my other mantra: 
A little now will save me from a lot later.

I'm making laziness work for me.

5 comments:

Charlotte said...

I wouldn't say this is lazy at all--it's brilliant discipline! I should work harder at applying that to my life as well.

Applying for a few jobs today will prevent guilt from not applying anywhere. . . .

I love this mantra!

Jill said...

How funny to find a quote from President Benson at a WW meeting! We talk to our kids often about having to learn things the hard way or the easy way and try to explain how making good choices now will save a lot of pain and frustration later. I just wish I had learned that lesson at a much earlier age then maybe I wouldn't be dealing with weight and debt issues so badly now.

michelle said...

This. is. awesome.

I want to make laziness work for me, too! I have long understood the truth of this philosophy as it regards sin, now I need to enlarge it to encompass bad decisions of all sorts.

Still wondering why Linda is going to WW. And what you guys eat after you weigh in.

Diana said...

I love the mantra too, Jess.
Miss you!

Susan said...

I like your thinking...

Great quote, it's a keeper!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...